22 July 2012

Good Age to Start Lessons

I once had a sweet mom call me on the phone inquiring about piano lessons for her 2-year-old.  "I've been told that he's musically gifted," she kindly explained.  I didn't doubt her words, but I gently explained that the youngest age I begin teaching is for 6-year-olds.

Generally speaking, 6-year-olds:

  • Can focus their attention for 30 minutes
  • Have mastered their alphabet and are able to understand going forward and backwards alphabetically
  • Are capable of motivating themselves to learn and practice
  • Can understand the value of seeing results from hard work and effort
There are many wonderful piano teachers out there who are able to teach younger students and help them be successful; my little brother started taking lessons at the wee age of 4, and is a well-rounded and experienced musician at the age of 16.


No comments:

Post a Comment