14 July 2017

Set Them Free To Keep Growing

Growth is the great separator between those who succeed and those who do not. When I see a person beginning to separate themselves from the pack, it's almost always due to personal growth. 
{John C. Maxwell}

It is so fun getting that initial phone call from an excited parent, hoping to get their child into piano lessons.  They have seen their young one delightfully explore the piano, and the possibility of having a musician in the family creates joyful anticipation.  I enjoy setting up that first consultation, because that is when I can see exactly where this child is at in their desire and ability level.  There have been times, however, when I realize in the course of our visit or maybe even after several months or years of lessons, that this child needs something beyond my ability and training.  One such student began with me back in February.  She eagerly learned and practiced all that I set before her.  Around lesson 3 or 4, I realized that she was also a singer with remarkable pitch for a 6 year old.  I explained to her mother that while I was happy to continue working with her daughter, I knew she would eventually outgrow me.  She would thrive under someone who could train her to both sing and play music together.  This sweet mother said she was not ready to take that step, but I did give her the name of another teacher in the area to consider contacting at a later time, who would be able to add this dimension to her daughter's music journey.

I believe that every piano teacher provides unique offerings to their students, but it is necessary for teachers to continually self-assess whether they are the best fit in each student's learning season. Referring students out when they have outgrown my teaching is freeing on both sides; I am able to acknowledge the the level and success I helped my student achieve during their time with me, but then it is also freeing to let the student go and show that growth and change is absolutely natural and beneficial not only as it relates to piano, but in every life pursuit.










photo credit: GuilleDes La Lección de Piano via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment