17 July 2017

The First Two Minutes of the Lesson

When I first began teaching piano lessons as a freshman in college, I was merely trying to pay my bills and not starve.  I enjoyed giving lessons, but I was pursuing a degree in sociology because I loved learning about people--how they think, how they make decisions, how their families of origin play a role in who they become.  As I pursued my career as a clinical social worker, I had forgotten all about teaching music.  And then after being married for a few years, our babies came--four of them in 6 years--and I realized that I not only wanted to help support my young family, but I also wanted to do something I thoroughly enjoyed.

And then I remembered how much I had enjoyed teaching piano.  What came as a complete surprise is just how intricately connected my social work training has positively influenced my work as a piano teacher.  When children arrive for their lessons, they are usually coming directly from school or another fun activity.  As parents, we are so used to taking our kids from one activity to the next, forgetting that they need transition time in order to give their best and learn at a higher level (I am just as guilty of this as every well-intentioned parent).

And this is where I believe my connection with my students goes deeper.  These first short minutes of transition meets them in the moment of where they are.  Students will often share about something difficult that happened at school, a teacher who is being unkind to them, a test that they aced, or even an award they received.  Listening to whatever is on their mind seems to help them to unload their busy thoughts and opens them up to learning piano.

photo credit: Images of Sri Lanka - Sequential Shots Young boy blowing bubbles via photopin (license)


No comments:

Post a Comment